The All Wales Induction Framework for Health and Social Care (AWIF) has seven sections
These sections are:
- Section 1 and 2: Principles and values of health and social care
- Section 3 and 4: Health and well-being
- Section 5: Professional practice as a health and social care worker
- Section 6: Safeguarding individuals
- Section 7: Health and safety in health and social care.
- identifies the knowledge, understanding and skills new workers need to gain in their induction period
- identifies the principles and values of health and social care that workers need to show includes the core knowledge learning outcomes that all workers
- identifies the knowledge and skills that apply across all health and social care settings, as well as those that are specific to their role and workplace.
Who should complete it?
Social care workers and healthcare support workers who are new to the sector, organisation or job role should complete the AWIF.
Workers new to the sector
Workers who are new to the sector should complete five of the seven sections (1, 3, 5, 6 and 7 for those working with adults; and 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for those working with children and young people).
Those working with both adults and children and young people are advised to complete all seven sections. All new workers should complete all of the core knowledge learning outcomes, but the practice elements are specific to the worker’s role.